Monday, August 17, 2009

what can you do if your precious compound spilled?

My precious compound spilled out of a bottle and sticked onto a piece of plastic foam. the foam was dissolved by the dcm which is the solvent with my compound.
Discard it ? no, the boss will kill me.

1 I cut the foam off and dissolved the foam (with my compound) with DCM/EtoAc.
The foam dissolved without problem. concentrated. passed a pad of silica gel, eluting with etoac, nothing can be removed.
2. checked the structure of the foam through internet, it is polystyrene,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polystyrene
tried to run a TLC with pure polystyrene, no obvious spots.

3. tested the solubility of the foam in organic solvents.
soluble: dcm, etoac, ether
unsoluable: meoh, hexanes,
4. so meoh was added to precipitate the polystyrene, and a simple filtration with silica gel removed the plastic.

No comments: