Friday, April 18, 2008

one carbon elongation

1. aldehyde to aldehyde
step 1. aldehyde + PPh3Cl-CH2OMe/t-BuOK
step 2. Formic acid.

Wiki is a good source of infomation:

Examples of homologation reactions include:

Some reactions increase the chain length by more than one unit. For example, the following are considered two-carbon homologation reactions:

  • Nucleophilic addition to ethylene oxide, resulting in a ring-opening and producing a primary alcohol with two extra carbons.
  • Malonic ester synthesis, which produces a carboxylic acid with two extra carbons.

6 comments:

J M Carr said...

I think the term is homologation. Corey and Link did some interesting work on enantioselective homologations from the reaction of trichloromethide and aldehydes. Snowden's been doing this sort of stuff too.

Weiwei TIAN said...

Yes, you are right. Thank you for your comment.
I will add those information soon.

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing

Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)

Weiwei TIAN said...

I don't have the copy of those articles. If you are in a university of college, ask your teacher about it. They should have.

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing